"Think how you can, not why you can't." - Dr. John H. Cox -

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Involuntary Spring Sabbatical

Could it be fun?
Greetings, All!
As many of you know, I have been forced into a Spring sabbatical this year.  And, no, I won't be gardening or beaching it.  However, I will be resting, restoring, rejuvenating, resolving and renewing (and hopefully not expiring from an O.D. on stir-crazy in the meantime).
This week begins the official jigsaw challenge.  Thanks to the miracles of modern medicine, several doctors will be working to put me back together in one workable and beautiful piece.  
Round 1 - Monday, 3/29:  My first cervical epidural.....this to decrease inflammation and severe compression on my spinal cord, which has led to a condition known as "clonus" affecting my nerves (and I don't mean somebody's annoying me, although they might be!)  Ha!  I just looked up "clonus" and what I got is:  "Greek for violent, confused motion" - cool :)  Anyway, all just fancy schmancy terminology that equates to three things: 1) my neck is really screwed up now, 2) I refuse to have spine surgery, and 3) they are going to inject steroids into my neck to see if it helps.  As much as anyone tries to console and convince me, I have to admit, I'm not crazy about this idea at all.  However, it does beat surgery, and if it means I can go back to teaching, well, let's hurry up and get it over with!  Supposedly, after an afternoon of rest, I should be fine by the next day with some residual soreness.  We shall see......
Round 2 - Thursday, 4/1:  Off to Anne Arundel Medical Center for.... ahem..."procedure" number 2 (I hate it when they try to make things sound better by calling them "procedures").  I am scheduled to be in surgery for about 90 minutes.  They will be cleaning out debris from my ankle and then reconstructing ligaments and tendons.  The physician's assistant told me yesterday that my ankle will be "really tight" after this surgery - even more stable than my left ankle!  After it heals, of course.  Woohoo - balancing poses on my right foot!  My instructions say I can't get up at all, except to use the bathroom, for 48 hours.  Now, isn't this going to be fun?!  :D  The rest is yet to be told......*twilight zone music*
In any event, I DO plan on some sunbathing, Gita reading, bird watching, studying, virtual admin. work, and deck planting, once my "hobble" improves at bit ;)
Stay tuned...

11 comments:

  1. Glad we'll be hearing from you during your Sabbatical! Rest well, dear one - and I'm hoping your doggie nursemaid is good at pouring drinks (and won't gobble your chocolate!)..

    Hey. What's your favorite type/brand of chocolate?? You dont' want offerings that make you gag, now do you?

    much love,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmmmm......no thanks......I'm afraid I will be gagging quite enough, Dearie. I'm ALREADY gagging just thinking about it! I like ANY kind of chocolate, except with tree nuts, as I am allergic, i.e., no hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans, walnuts, almonds, none of the good stuff *sigh* I can have peanuts and caramel though!!!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I lost it that day. I just couldn't bear it to see you in such pain. So selfish of me. I send Reiki your way.

    I'm better now and I hope you are, too, from all the rest, but Struggle We Must! The place we get to is better than where we were when we were not struggling, so I say rejoice in the struggle, for where we are going is all shalom.

    Louise, with best wishes also from Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea to post your progess on this journey. I hope it gives you a feeling of connection, knowing that people care and are cheering you on to a wonderful healing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Master T!
    I feel relieved to have something that will keep me posted on your progress versus twiddling my thumbs and worrying about how you are doing at the moment.
    Let the healing begin!!!!
    xxoxxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly was a tickle to find the Half-Moon,Half-Casted yogini cartoon at the top.
    And wait, omg...She's up on the right foot of which you spoke.
    Having an update place does cast oil upon this worried water. Thanks.
    I will be thinking of you on Monday and Thursday.
    In my head I will be doing a heart-stand!
    -McBee

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about those white pistachios you used to love?
    Are you allergic to them also? How about dark chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. *so chuckling* - "Anonymous" has got to be MOM! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh this will be great! i will keep tabs on you this way, girl! you'll do great. and hey, when it gets hard we'll all be out here rooting you on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I will come on this blog and check your progress (after I go home), but I am so thankful that I am going to be there with you and I hope I can provide you some peace and comfort!! And, you better know who this is **wink wink**

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking of you!
    Fondly,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete