"Think how you can, not why you can't." - Dr. John H. Cox -

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Does that come in seed form?

Yesterday I stumbled into the craziest, easiest pain management technique I have found thus far.

I was separating bird seed with a colandar into a large pot - birds/squirrels, another story for another day.  In order to get them to separate them fully, I have to stir them with my hands.

So....I'm in the middle of this household chore and suddenly I notice:  "Hey!  This is kinda fun!  Let me do it a little more...."  I stir.  I stir slowly.  I stir more quickly.  I close my eyes and notice the textures of the myriad of seeds in this particular songbird blend.  And, only then do I notice...."I think this feels good on my hands."  - stir -  "How could that be and why?" - stir - breathe -  "It must have to do with the nerves in my fingers..."  - stir -  "Yes.  That's it!  Whereas, normally my fingers tingle in a painful way, now they are tingling in a feel-good way." - stir -  "Wow."  - stir - breathe -  "I wonder if different seeds (size and weight) feel different?"  I try them separately.  Indeed, the sunflower seeds feel different than the little tiny seeds - a different kind of therapy.  But, both feel good..... soothing..... quieting...... calming... like thousands of little tiny fingers, massaging my hands.  I hold a handful of seeds and allow them to trickle through my fingers.  Aaaaaahhhhh...... that feels good....

What a bizarre and profound experience!  And, how fun it would be for "my kids" (students) and the seniors who have arthritis in their hands!  And, cheap!  I could buy some bags of inexpensive beans and rice and seeds and get plastic bowls at the dollar store!

I'm sure there is some scientific explanation for my little accidental discovery/ therapeutic technique.  I'm sure I would find it interesting.  But for now, I really don't care much.  It's something to share with others and remember for myself.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Don't be surprised if I end up posting a picture at some point with my feet in a bucket of seeds!  :D

*I wonder if it has anything to do with the energy in the seeds?*

1 comment:

  1. You have stumbled upon the magic of a "sensory diet", much like what is used by therapists who work with spectrum kids to help with sensory integration dysfunction. When you whack your shin on something, you rub it instinctively, because it interrupts the pain signals (they share a pathway, i believe.) Maybe that is what is happening here? The sensation of the seeds travels faster to the synapse than pain, effectively stealing its parking space? Not sure, but what a wonderful concept!
    More here:
    http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=8790&cn=20

    ReplyDelete