"Think how you can, not why you can't." - Dr. John H. Cox -

Sunday, June 13, 2010

"Giving Up Is Not An Option"




What does this image depict to you?
*
*
*
I hope you will take a few moments to really study it....
*
*
*
What does it say to you?
*
*
*
What does it stir in you?
*
*
*
I. am. interested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once upon a time...

I fell in love with a mermaid.

A shimmering creature

rising

from the depths 

of the Majestic Sea.

An ethereal maiden

in mortal pursuit.

Emerging 

from a 

dark

perilous

sapping 

journey.

Drenched.

Muddied.

Emphatically 

weary.

Yet,

resolute.

Fierce tides

abate

her passage.

Her leer

anchored.

No-thing

dares

or threatens.

Traces

of a journey

anoint

silken limbs

cling hungrily

and

tumble

home.

A lone luster

fancies

her arm,

graces

her brow.

Silent 

sentient

shepherds.

A Mystic Conquest.

A small sacrifice ~ 

for the Redemption

of an adrift

Self.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many years ago I literally fell in love with "How to Catch a Mermaid" by Margaret Dean.  I didn't have the funds to buy the print at the time.  But, I figured there was "plenty of time" ... I revisited this mermaid month after month, year after year, virtually - on the internet - anytime I felt like I needed a boost in confidence or determination.

A few years after I discovered her, I went back to purchase her and the artist had closed her shop.  My heart dropped.  My spirit shriveled.

I continued to admire her on the website, however....and printed poor quality reproductions - pasted on vision boards, pinned to my office bulletin board, hung on the refrigerator.  Clearly, I needed this mermaid in my life.

Once, I found a fly-by-night website that advertised the image on some type of silk square.  I had no use for a silk square at all....but I wanted the mermaid so desperately, I ordered it.  I got ripped off.  They took my money and never sent the product, or answered my emails.

Again, I was disappointed and disheartened.

I pretty much gave up.

Fast forward to 2010, when I host a women's manifestation circle for Midsummer's Eve.  I shared my secret little inspiration with the members of the circle.  They too were smitten.

Purely on a whim, I decided to give it one more try.  Selina Fenech, whom I adore and have made several purchases from in the past, hosts a collective website for fairy artists.  Much to my surprise, Margaret Dean has appeared in my life once again.  Many of her gorgeous creations are profiled, but - no mermaid.

I drop a line, which I expect will never even be answered, asking if there is any chance of getting my hands on the mermaid.  Selina is kind enough to contact Margaret Dean herself and ask permission, which Margaret graciously grants. I am so thrilled - I report back to the women's circle immediately!

Meanwhile, and unbeknownst to me, one of the women, Teresa, has been on a wild goose chase for weeks, trying to obtain the print for me.  Can you believe that?!  Can you believe any of this?!

Teresa asks if I will grant her the honor of purchasing the print for me, as she now truly grasps how much it means to me.

Wanna know the end of the story?

By now, I know you must! :)






~ all the way from the other side of the world, Australia ~
to my bedroom wall ~

*Please please please, forgive me Margaret Dean, for the crappy picture!

Yep!  You read that right!  She's on my bedroom wall - all these years and miles later!

There are so many lessons in this story.  Lessons of women, pulling together, to help make another woman's dream come true.  Lessons of sticking your neck out and having the courage to ask the Universe for what you need and want...laying it right there, on the table (really tough for me sometimes).  Lessons in determination and perseverance.  Lessons in honoring your Self and others.  The list goes on and on, and I hope you will gather your own lessons and inspiration from my story.

I will never awaken the same again...

She is here.

Watching.

Nudging.

Holding my hand.

Whispering...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Giving up is not an option" has been a moniker for myself and my daughter for the last 21 years.  She is probably sick to death of hearing it.  But, I gotta tell ya - whomever is still listening - it has gotten us through some very rough seas and storms!  And, while we may not be all the way "there" (subjective, of course) yet, .... we will not give up ... I will never give up.  It's not an option for the mermaid, and it's not an option for me.

*Much love and gratitude to Teresa Jamison, Selina Fenech, and Margaret Dean for making my wish come true and inspiring me every day.*


 This way to the website

1 comment:

  1. As if I could let you post this and not respond...My heart is truly warmed that your mermaid is now hanging over your bed protecting you, uplifiting your heart and spirit, giving you courage, strength and confidence to face each day, each challenge. She is, and will forever be, your guardian angel (well mermaid to be exacct). Thank you for providing me with the inspriation of what I could do to show you my THANKS for what you have brought to my life.

    ReplyDelete