"Think how you can, not why you can't." - Dr. John H. Cox -

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Her Majesty Obedience

A few years ago, when I trained under Iyanla Vanzant, everyone in our group was given a "name."  These were chosen, at random (if you believe in random) from a bowl.  We were warned that the name we drew may not make sense at the time, or perhaps for quite some time in the future.  I drew, "Her Majesty Obedience."  Of course, my immediate thought was, "Huff!  WHO am I supposed to be obeying NOW?  I have always been obedient, even as a small child.  I have always respected authority; in fact, moreso than most people I know.  W.T.F.?  How in the world does this apply to ME?  I want a redraw!"  lol  Of course, I was NOT granted a redraw.

Anyway, I have carried that nametag around with me for years now - usually it's over the visor in my car - and never did really "nail" how it was supposed to apply to me, although I've been granted a few glimpses hither and thither.

So, how does this apply to today's post?  Well, I've been thinking about "avoidance."  What it means.  Why we do it.  Why I do it.  And admit, I've engaged in quite a few silent battles of will with the Universe on the subject.

I decided to see what Iyanla has to say on it.  In this book, "Until Today," there's no way to just look up the word "avoidance" and find something.  You kinda have to scan.  So I went to the Chapter on Service to see if there may be something hiding in there.  I flipped right to a page that I have previously made notes and highlights on.

Herein, some insight on avoidance and obedience if anyone is interested:

"The greatest service I can offer is...doing what needs to be done."

Of course you deserve to have the things you want in life.  Of course you are worthy of having them.  These are givens.  The question is, are you willing to do the work required to get what you want?  I am not talking about physical work.  Oh no!  Most of the time, we are all ready and willing to kill ourselves working to get the things we want.  If that is all it takes, everyone's success would be assured.  It is the mental, emotional and spiritual work that we usually overlook.  When there is something that you really want, there is one thing you must really do - FOCUS!  Focus your thoughts.  Focus your energy.  When you really want to focus on something, there is something you must develop and maintain - DISCIPLINE!  You must be disciplined about what you think.  You must do everything in a disciplined way.  When you are working to master the art of discipline, there is something you must be - OBEDIENT!  Obediently follow your first focused thought.  Obediently follow through on the disciplined action you take.  When you are really obedient, there is one thing you will undoubtedly develop - FOCUS!  With focus, discipline and obedience, you will reach any goal successfully.

Until today, you may have believed that you could physically work your way to success.  Just for today, focus your energy and attention on the mental, emotional, and spiritual work that will serve you as you reach for your highest and greatest good.

Today I am devoted to being obediently disciplined about the things I am focused on being and doing!



1 comment:

  1. Leesa ~ goddess of the gypsy moonMay 14, 2010 at 4:54 PM

    I love your honesty - pulling 'your name' and at first thinking "NO - this isn't mine - redraw, pleeeeeeease!" I've been there too. I've learned it's best to just trust that it DOES belong to you.
    How magickal these things unfold!
    Isn't it a "YES" moment when we seek validation or further knowing/understanding and it actually appears within as something we've already read/exerienced but have forgotten? This happens to me too.
    Her Majesty Obedience - I bow before you! namaste

    ReplyDelete