"Think how you can, not why you can't." - Dr. John H. Cox -

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How Are You and TIME Getting Along?

I ran late this morning :(

And during that "running late period" some old habits and emotions arose in me...

Like...um...

Stress.
Anxiety.
Haste makes waste.
Punchy-ness.
Impatience.

Running late makes me sweat.  And I'm not a perspirer.

I called my client.  She was fine with it, as always (THANK YOU, CR!).  I still didn't like that I was late though.  Because I VALUE AND RESPECT HER TIME.

I recall a time, about six or eight years ago, when my friend and I went on our annual beach vacation.  When we arrived and started unpacking we made a vow to ourselves and to one another.  We both took off our watches and promised not to live by the time for a whole week.  We would wake up when we felt like it.  Eat when we felt like it.  Go to the beach and come back a 1/2 hour later, or ten hours later if we felt like it.  Drink margaritas at 10:00 a.m. if we felt like it.  We'd eat dinner at 3:00 in the afternoon or 11:00 at night if we felt like it.  My God, was that liberating!

When I got back home I decided I liked that feeling so much, I'd never wear a watch again.  And to this day, I still haven't.

Now, suffice it to say, my corporate boss was none too happy with my newly-adopted doctrine-lol.  I realized the toll it was taking on me racing to work every morning.  The designated report time was no longer working for me because my daughter was now in high school and I needed to drive her to school.  This only left me about 35 minutes to make a 45 minute drive to work.  EVERY morning I nagged at Cammie (who is NOT a morning person to begin with!) and started off both of our days on the wrong foot, all because I was stressed about THE TIME.  I couldn't drop her off any earlier, as the doors to the school were closed.  Once I dropped her off, I would drive at lightning speed, gritting my teeth and gripping the steering wheel the whole way...Dodging in and out of cars, thinking nasty thoughts, saying nasty words, and invariably spilling my coffee all over my...gag...business suit.  I'd finally reach work and literally RUN from my car to the front door, and then make a mad dash to my desk and do my best to look "calm and collected," even though my hands were shaking and my heart was pounding.  NOT RECOMMENDED FOR DAILY USE, FOLKS.

Finally, I mustered the courage to approach my very structured and stringent boss.  I very respectfully asked for either a later start time or flexible hours, and explained the reasons why.  DENIED.  Hmm.  As my Mom would say, "Oh well."

The next morning was status quo.   And the next, and the next.  It took a good six months before I realized just how absurd and wasteful it would be if I perished at the hands of my own modus operandi.  One day, as I was speeding down Rte. 4 in the left lane, something just sorta snapped in me (don't panic-lol).  I just decided enough was enough.  I moved to the right lane, slowed down, and started some deep breathing as I drove.  I turned off the radio.  Opened the windows.  Purposely relaxed my shoulders and jaw.  I very simply declared to myself and the Universe, "I'll get there when I get there."  Period. 

Yep, I was late...And from then on - some days I was on time, some days I was late.  Boss-man never broached the subject, but I sure got some seriously condescending looks.  "Oh well."

I feel so blessed to have escaped that kind of pressure!  It does not work for me.  It does not motivate me.  Please don't get me wrong....if you are my student or client, you already know that I do my very best to be ON TIME, if not EARLY, EVERY TIME.  I do value your time.  And I do realize you are sacrificing your hard-earned money in a very tough economy for yoga classes.  I totally respect that.  BUT...I know and you know, the world is not going to end if I show up five minutes late or you show up five minutes late.  IT'S YOGA, for crying out loud!  My question to you is, "How effective do you expect your yoga practice to be if it stresses you out just getting there?"  Furthermore, on my part, if ever I short you any time due to some extenuating life circumstance, it will ALWAYS be repaid, plus, plus. :)

Isn't it just easier this way? 

I learned a mantra some years ago that has helped me tremendously and maybe it will help some of you as well.  It's very simple.  "There is enough time."

There is enough time.
There is enough time.
There is enough time.

Try it!  :)

It IS true, yanno.

What's my point?  Well, I have several (surprised?):

1-SLOW DOWN.  THERE IS ENOUGH TIME.

2-Being on time, all the time, is certainly commendable, but not worth making yourself sick (or worse) over.

3-Schedules and structure are valuable and necessary.  They provides us with a sense of security, among other things.  Some people thrive on schedules.  BUT, I personally (and professionally) don't believe it's necessary or healthy for any of us to FREAK if things don't go precisely according to schedule or our plans.  I find the "What's the worst that could happen?" technique extremely effective in resetting my perspective as/if necessary.

4-Last but not least...please don't misunderstand me.  I would never ask or expect anyone to subscribe to my philosophies or lifestyle.  Withal, I have simply chosen not to live a life that is CONFINED or DEFINED by time.

To know me is to love me, eh? :)

Watch my Nana gave me when I was a little girl.
I adore this watch.  
It opens like a locket and the "secret time" is inside.
She had such exquisite taste!

2 comments:

  1. Leesa - goddess of the gypsy moonMay 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM

    Time & I get along just fine! Because like you, I stopped wearing a watch a looooooong time ago (I think I was 17 when I stopped time).

    My favorite watch that was given to me by my mother when I was 13. Though I no longer wear it I love the symbology of it - as it has a solid silver flat band & the face is blue (no markings nor numbers, nada) encircled by a crescant moon shape of the same silver.

    Once I decided so long ago not to be ruled by the passing of time I've never had a problem waking up on "time" when I have to. I don't own an alarm clock - I just think of what time I want to wake up (in order to have enough "time" to get ready & to where I'm going)& I wake up. It's magick! It works every time! I am never late, but I don't worry about it either. If I fear I'm running late, I slooooow time down and I get there on time without rushing.

    I don't live by time either... meals, bedtimes, etc are NEVER at the same time - I love allowing my day to unfold like a flower -

    Nana gifted you the perfect watch... Time unfolds like a flower... peek if you must, but there is no real need to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. And I must add ---- EVERY gift Nana gave me was PERFECT and PRICELESS. :-)

    ReplyDelete