"Think how you can, not why you can't." - Dr. John H. Cox -

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Leading the Charmed Life

"Your home needs to be a reflection of yourself, not of your decorator or a design magazine."  ~ from Creating a Charmed Life by Victoria Moran

These are my prayer flags.  They hung between two huge old, oak trees, by my little studio in the woods for many years, until I could no longer repair the twine.  They say the more tattered and worn they are, the better.  I couldn't part with these.  Someone was going to throw them in the trash.  "No, no, no!  You can't throw those away.  There are a gazillion blessings in them!"   :)  I washed them, very carefully, with my hands, in the sink...hung them out to dry...and then hung them in my office.  Cammie (not knowing) says, "You should have tried to wash those things, Mom, before hanging them in the house!  They're all stained and dirty."  Heh.

Truly, these flags epitomize me.  Or, how I think of myself, I guess I should say.  Honestly, the more I go through - the more tattered and shredded I become - the better I am.  I really believe it.  Maybe I should have taken this pic in the afternoon, when the sun shines in the window and dances on them.  But, I know you get the picture, don't you?  :)

4 comments:

  1. I think they look beautiful, just as they are -- don't you? And if you hadn't pointed out their flaws, I never would have noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. I really like the idea about the prayer flags "accumulating" blessings through their wear and tear. I liked the idea of you washing them, so carefully by hand. So ... what about the washing; none of the blessings come off in the dust? Hmmm. I'm going to be thinking about this all day now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooz - I never would have washed them at all except that they had fallen down in a thunderstorm and were all muddy. p.s. no worries ---- I didn't scrub any blessings out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love these!!!

    And I know you won't be surprised to know that I have some too. :D

    <3

    ReplyDelete