"Think how you can, not why you can't." - Dr. John H. Cox -

Friday, May 7, 2010

My Ego is a Diva


sorry you have such a big butt, DEEGO, 
but there's not enough room for the both of us!


I can't get HER off my mind.  You know - DEEGO!  That could stand for DIVA EGO, or DIVINE EGO - always subject to change without notice, and dependent upon the situation  ;)

I was thinking about just one of so many examples where SHE made ME do something completely ridiculous.

Rewind to...eh...1987ish?  "The Medieval Times," as Cammie calls it :D

I'm a young, cute (yeah, I said that) twenty-something.  My /then/ husband and I decide to take a Saturday drive, mostly for lack of anything else to do (aaaaaahhhhh.....those were the days......).  We end up at the car dealership, oooing and aaahing and lusting over stuff we couldn't afford.  No harm in dreaming, right?  

Of course, there was a pushy salesman involved.  I think car salespersons have come a long way since then, BTW.  I happen to think this one car is really cool.  But it was just a momentary whim, yanno?  Looking back, with what I know now, I probably would have NEVER bought that car for so many reasons I don't even need to go into.

Anyway, I nonchalantly say how beautiful the color of the car is (metallic mauve-WHAT was I thinking?!).  It's a real sporty thing, unlike anything I've ever had.  And far too pricey.  Absurd, even.  So, Mr. Cool Dude salesman says to us (before knowing a dang thing about us) that he doesn't think we can afford that car and maybe we should look at XYZ (junk) car instead.* 

*In retrospect - that was either a brilliant sales technique or he learned his...ahem...manners from a chicken.

I'm offended.  Insulted.  And, of course, would handle the situation TOTALLY different nowadays.  But, back then......I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "Who the hell is HE to tell me what I can and can't afford?  I'll show his stupid ass! Huff!"

You know the rest - we ended up driving that car off the lot that day without so much as even negotiating one dollar.  Nothing.  All because I was gonna SHOW HIM.  For a smart girl, I sure could act stupid sometimes.  lol
Don't get me wrong, now...the car was fine.  And yeah, it was pretty and fun for a while, although I do remember it having this "quirk" about not being able to sit still with the a/c on *rolling eyes*.  My ex ended up getting it when we separated.  Ha! How's that for irony?  

What was my point again?  Oh yeah :)  I have a gazillion examples like that where I let that DEEGO get me into trouble, or preventable conundrums, at the least.

Thus, my challenge for today...

Dear Self, Dear You, Dear Whomever Cares to Try:

"Are you deciding/doing/saying whatever it is just so you can SHOW somebody a thing or two?  Even if only yourself?  Are you knocking yourself out for something and can't even remember the real reason why you wanted it in the first place?  Are you expending precious time and energy clenching your teeth and digging your heels in when you could be walking on the beach eating a blueberry scone instead?"

I say we SHOW THOSE DEEGOS WHAT'S UP!  :D



1 comment:

  1. Leesa ~ goddess of the gypsy moonMay 14, 2010 at 5:38 PM

    Your DEEGO* - Diva IS Divine!
    She makes me laugh -what a spit-fire!!!!!

    * very clever, btw.

    My personal D-ego isn't so charming...
    I need some lessons!

    ReplyDelete