"Think how you can, not why you can't." - Dr. John H. Cox -

Monday, April 26, 2010

More Than Just Shoes...


I paid more for these shoes than I have ever paid in my entire life.  Partly because I needed the orthotic benefits, and partly because a portion of the proceeds goes to breast cancer awareness.

Ironically, I received a message today that one of my students had passed away last Tuesday.  She had been in remission from breast cancer and had recently undergone reconstructive surgery.   I hadn't heard from her for several months.

Funny how I totally dogged these shoes at first --- saying they were ugly and how I can't believe I am having to wear orthotic shoes.  Now I don't want to take them off.  Suddenly, I feel mega-proud and honored to wear these shoes.  I feel beautiful in them - almost as beautiful as my beloved friend, student, and one of my greatest life mentors, Joyce Davis.

So, for you Joyce, I will wear these shoes with great pride. I will honor myself by taking care of ME, as you would want me to.  I will march forward on this journey, baby step by baby step with the exquisite grace and dignity you exuded.

~ In honor and loving memory of Joyce Davis, who absolutely adored warrior pose, and had the most beautiful one I have ever seen.  You were truly a warrior, in every respect of the word. ~

 "Sister Love" by Tina

6 comments:

  1. Acknowledging your friend, Joyce and my cousin Debbie, and all the other courageous women whose lives illuminate our awareness of how beautiful your shoes really are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise if you call her your friend she must have been quite a strong, beautiful,woman. I know you don't describe just anyone with those words. I am glad you have shared Joyce with us and I pray for her and all the other woman fighting everyday to be a warrior not only in their yoga poses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. {{{ Thelma }}} You're right - she was VERY special - and I don't describe just anyone with those words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honor you for acknowledging your friend, Joyce. This is near and dear to my heart having lost my mom and cousin within three months of each other. Each and every woman facing this fight is a WARRIOR!!! May their beauty continue to shine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. {{{ Teresa }}} never better said.

    ReplyDelete