"Think how you can, not why you can't." - Dr. John H. Cox -

Monday, April 12, 2010

Preparing for a Big Day


Let the festivities begin!  :-)

This is a picture of me with my Nana.  I have carried it in my wallet ever since I was old enough to even have a wallet.  It's old and and stained and crinkled and faded, and I like it that way  :)  With all the BEAUTIFUL pictures of Nana, one might wonder why this is the one I choose to carry and show off to people.  (Even SHE is probably chuckling at me right now.)  But there's a whole lot of significance and symbolism in this picture for me, that is not visible to the "naked" eye...

Notable - multi-tasking.  Nana was the Master Juggler.  In this picture she is juggling caring for a toddler with ironing (one of her favorite pastimes) and getting ready for work.  What we can't see is that she is also probably running bathwater and scrambling eggs at the same time.  I know she is getting ready for work because she is still in her nightgown and she is ironing her (black) waitress uniform.  Note the old record player in the background.  I loved that record player.  She may have even been playing an Elvis album :) I don't see any trace of bitching, moaning, disgruntledness (is that a word?) or fatigue on her face, do you?  In fact, she looks pretty dang happy to me.  I made her happy :)  Ironing made her happy.  Serving people as a waitress made her happy.  Independence made her happy - things like making her own money and driving herself places.  Giving to her kids and grandkids made her happy.  

I must be going to work with her this day.  The pink curlers in my hair are a giveaway :)  There was a whole ritual involved when we prepared to go somewhere - even if it was just to her work.  And, when she had doctor's appointments "downtown" - that was a HUGE deal!  We would both get our baths and put on delicious-smelling body powder.  She would wear one of her best outfits - usually given to her by her kids on a special occasion.  I remember her battling her arthritis support pantyhose and she and I both falling over on the bed in hysterics.  She hated those things, but we somehow managed to make it fun :)  Everything was starched and ironed and perfect.  She would dress me up like a doll in a magazine - complete with patent leather shoes, lace anklets, a beautiful dress, and sometimes even white gloves and a purse :)  We would go to lunch - usually with my Aunt Marilyn (her daughter) and sometimes her kids.  Nana taught me how to be a lady, and impeccable manners, which have been passed on to Cammie, and people still remark about it.
  
So - in honor of Nana - the ritual begins.  I am preparing for a day of doctor's visits.  Several.  And perhaps lunch with my daughter in between.  I will take my sit-on-the-side-of-the-tub /half/ bath.  I will wash my hair and face and brush my teeth, no matter how slow or painful the process is.  I will manage to get some article of clothing over the Monster Boot.  Cammie and I will ride with the windows down in her ole Honda and just be thankful and happy to do it.


Yep, that's how a woman of wisdom and grace and dignity faces a day!  That's my plan and I'm stickin to it :)


Cheers, Nana!



1 comment: